5 1/2-6 cups all-purpose flour
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded apple
1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 slightly beaten egg white
1 tablespoon water
1. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside.
2. In a saucepan heat and stir milk, granulated sugar, the 3 tablespoons butter, and the salt until warm (120° to 130°) and until butter almost melts.
3. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs.
4. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly.
5. Then beat on high speed 3 minutes.
6. Stir in shredded apple.
7. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much remaining flour as you can.
8. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
9. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
10. Shape into a ball. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.
11. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour. Punch dough down.
12. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
13. Lightly grease two 8x4x2- or 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
14. Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium mixing bowl combine chopped apple, nuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon; set aside.
15.Roll half of the dough to a 14x9-inch rectangle. Spread with 1 tablespoon of the softened butter; sprinkle with half of the filling.
16. Beginning at both short ends, roll each end up, jelly-roll style, to center.
17. Place loaf, rolled side up, in a prepared loaf pan. For second loaf, repeat with remaining dough, remaining butter, and remaining filling.
18. Cover, let rise until almost double in size (about 30 minutes).
19. Stir together egg white and water. Brush egg white mixture over tops of loaves; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
20. Bake in a 375° oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap tops (if necessary, loosely cover with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning).
21. Immediately remove from pans. Cool on wire racks.