Chocolate Cherry Cake with Rum Ganache
- 1 (18.5 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 (.23 ounce) packages unsweetened lemonade-flavored drink mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 (21 ounce) can sherry pie filling
- 1 (8 ounce) carton dairy sour cream
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 (4 ounce) bar sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together cake mix, flour, sugar, drink mix, baking powder and soda.
- Add oil, eggs, cherry pie filling, sour cream and almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 2 minutes (batter will be stiff). Fold in chopped sweet chocolate.
- Spoon into prepared pan. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Loosen sides and remove from pan. Cool completely.
- For ganache, in a small saucepan heat cream just to boiling. In a medium bowl pour hot cream over bittersweet chocolate; let stand 5 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth; stir in rum.
- Place bowl with chocolate in a bowl of ice water and let stand about 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer cake to serving plate. Spread ganache over cake. Let stand 1 hour before serving to set up.